Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Am I a designer??

I never even thought of myself as a designer. Admittedly, if I don't have a pattern in front of me, but there is yarn and needle at hand, I'll pick them up and knit something. But "designer" sounds so... professional. Serious. I don't consider myself either of those things.

Now, I finally got around to getting serious about Ravelry. I've been on there since October, but never really found the time to go play around. This week I found that time and I'm addicted. Of course. I think just about everyone on Ravelry is addicted. Anyway, I posted pics of whatever knitteds I had pics of on my computer, just so I'd have some projects on there in an attempt to not seem like the lame kid on the block. One of my "designs" got noticed by a member and she asked if I was going to publish the pattern. I had never even thought about that, but it's such a huge compliment to me. I feel so honored that someone liked what I did enough to ask for the pattern.

So, that brings me to today's blog. Am I a designer? Is this something I can do? I really don't know much about it. I imagine I'll have to work up the pattern (in writing, even, ) in a range of sizes, and then get test knitters and all that jazz. But really, is this little dress I designed worthy of that kind of time and investment? I think it's cute and all, but it's certainly no Elizabeth Zimmerman invention, KWIM? I think I'll try to do it. If nothing else, it'll be a good experience that will probably end in a newfound respect for designers.

Honestly, I doubt anyone reads my blog anyway, so I'm probably just typing to the wind here.

2 comments:

morgan said...

I read it, and I recognise the Ravelry addiction (not the designer part, although I have made many things without a pattern but never put anything down in the past)

jaclynbailey said...

I just found it which means I read it too! and I want patterns for like half the things you are doing!!!!